How to Play Rummy Card Game: Move over those video games, it’s time to get yourself indulge in the real card games. You may have played the card games online before but it is the time that you should play them in person. You must be wondering now that how to play rummy card game?
Then let me tell you, you can easily learn to play the rummy card game through the rules and information given below. Just follow these simple steps and you will totally learn to play this game perfectly. Apart from the rules, there are some of the things whose definitions should be known to you.
This section would help you completely to know that how to play rummy card game. It is perfect time to move to the professional level from amateur type.
Object of the Game
If you want to know that how to play rummy card game then you should better know its object. The object of the game is to dispose of all the cards that are in your hands. This can be done in 3 ways-
- In Melding, you need to take a combination of the cards from your hands and place them on the table by facing them up.
- There are two type of combination that are used for melding. These are called sequence/run and group/set/book.
- When you are going for sequence/run then you should know that it consists of three or more cards of the same suit. Example- 4, 5, 6 of same suit say hearts.
- When you are going for group/set/book then you should know that all the cards should be of same rank. Example – 7 of hearts, spade, diamond.
- In the process of laying off, you need to add card or cards from your hand to a meld placed already on the table. You should also know that by adding this card, the combination made should also be a meld.
- Example – 4, 5, 6 of spade are placed on the table then you can add either 3 or 7 of the spade in it.
- You cannot rearrange between two melds. Example – a combination of four 2s and another combination of 3, 4, and 5 of spade are there on table. Then you cannot take 2 of spade from another meld to make a pair of A, 2, 3, 4, 5 of spades.
- You can simply get rid of a single card in your turn by placing it in the discard pile. By doing so, you get to get rid of a single card in each of your turn.
How to Play Rummy Card Game
There are certain steps given below through which you can learn how to play rummy card game. This is just a simple process which has been explained through step by step procedure. You can easily understand it.
- If there are two players then they will take alternate turns and for more than two players, the turns will be in clockwise rotation.
- The game starts with taking one card either from the stock pile or from the discarded pile and adding them to the cards in your hands. Cards in stock pile are face down and in discarded pile is faced up.
- If you have a valid group or sequence then you can meld it on the table by facing all the cards up. You can meld only once in one turn.
- You can also use laying off, to give away the cards in your hands.
- At the end of the turn, you need to discard a card from your hand and place it on the top of the discarded pile. You cannot discard the same card that you picked from the pile.
- If the stock pile goes out of cards, then discarded pile is taken and shuffled and put facing down so that cards can be picked up from it.
If you want to know that how to play rummy card game completely, you should also know about how the scoring is done for this game.
- When a player wins then the other player still left with some cards in his hands. The value of all these cards are added together to find the final scores.
- All the face cards (K, Q, J) King, Queen, Jack has 10 points each.
- All the Aces are worth 1 point each
- Number cards are worth their own face value. For example a seven is worth 7 points and so on.
- Whatever is the total number of cards left in the hands of another player, is added to the cumulative score of the winner.
- The game keeps on going until the target score is reached.
Optional House Rules
There are certain rules which are optional ones. It means you can either use them according to your choice or not.
- Some people decide the rule of multiple melds. Which means, you can give away as many melds you want in a single turn.
- A player who has not melded before, can go out in a single turn by melding all cards he has. This is called going rummy and the score for hand is doubled.
- You cannot lay off any cards on other player’s meld until you have not placed one of your melds on the table.
- In the standard game, Aces have low value i.e. 1. But in some games you can have aces high value i.e. 15 and so you can form a meld of Q-K-A.
- You can make a rule that you can only go out if your last card is discarded. You cannot lay off all cards by melding them.
I hope this information would have sorted out all your doubts regarding the issue of how to play rummy card game. These rules and basic knowledge is really important to keep in mind while playing this game.
However, you can add up some variations according to your choice in the game. Make sure that whatever rules you make, that should be clear to everyone and it must not change the game too much. Some variations in the existing game would increase your entertainment and you would learn completely that how to play rummy card game.