How to Play 500 Rummy: Rummy 500 is a fun and interesting version of original rummy game. This game is all about melding and making sets or sequences out of cards. In this game a standard deck of cards is used which has 52 cards and 2 jokers. However, it is really important to know that how to play 500 rummy.
Rummy 500 can be played in multiple rounds and it is played until the target score of 500 is achieved by one of the players. This is also a multiplayer game and can be played between 2 to 8 players.
If you are throwing a house party then it can be a wonderful game to be played. Everyone is going to enjoy a lot while playing this game and it will keep them hooked for a really long time too. In this section I have listed out the rules, object and other information regarding this game so that you can understand that how to play 500 rummy.
You can use some of the variations and house rules to make the game of rummy 500 even more interesting. The name of the game is rummy 500 because in it, players has to reach the score of 500. Its other versions are also available like 1500 rummy, 2500 rummy, 5000 rummy etc.
However, other versions are time taking and that is the reason that rummy 500 is played the most.
Object of the Game
Learning the objective of the game is really important to understand the process of how to play 500 rummy. Without the objective you cannot determine the remaining technique of playing the game well. Its rules are just like the simple rummy with a bit of variation.
- The main object of 500 rummy is to lay down the sets of 3 cards or more than 3 cards. The standard game allows you to make sets of 3-4 cards.
- Just like the simple rummy, the combinations are made in two forms. You can comprise the cards as sets and sequence.
- When you are making sets then you have to choose the same card of different type. For example – Queens of diamond, hearts, spade.
- When you are making sequence then you have to pick 3-4 consecutive cards of the same type. For example- 7, 8, 9 of hearts.
- The group of 3 or more than 3 cards are called Melds.
- Players can lay down the cards which matched another melds existing on the table currently. For example – if a player has kept three aces on the table then another player can lay down 4th ace on the table.
- Jokers are used as the wildcards. You can use them to represent a certain card in a meld.
How to Play 500 Rummy
This is a complete step by step process of the game to clear how to play 500 rummy. This is a simple process and the point to point narration would not cause any complexity for you to understand it. You just need to follow the rules and steps and you would be an expert in the game of 500 rummy very soon.
- When there are 2 players and each one gets 13 cards and for more players each one gets 7 cards.
- The remaining cards remain face down and it is called stock pile. The first card of the stock pile is face up and the player going first choses whether to keep this card or to put it in the discard pile.
- To start the game, the player going first will draw card from the stock pile which is facing up. You can also discard it straight away if you do not want to keep it.
- The next step is melding, you would have to meld any valid combination in your hand and eventually place them on table facing up.
- The card that is no need of you, you can discard it. You cannot discard the same card that you have picked up from the discard pile.
- If a player has melded all the sets and wish to end then he can discard the last card on discarded pile by keeping it face down.
- The game keeps on going until one of the player reaches a score of 500.
Scoring is another important part of the game of 500 rummy. You cannot know that how to play 500 rummy completely until you do not know that how the scoring for this game is done. No winner can be decided until you calculate the final points secured by each player.
- All the face cards are worth 10 points each. For example King, Queen, Jack
- Aces are counted as 15 points each when used as the “high” card. For example in a set of A-K-Q, A is worth 15.
- Jokers which are also known as the wildcards are worth 15 points each.
- All the other numbered cards represent their value. For example – 6 of hearts is worth 6 points.
- When Ace has “low” value then it is counted as 1. For example in a set of A-2-3, A is worth 1 point.
- When one players uses all of its card then the round gets over and final scores are calculated.
- All the loser players count their scores by adding the value of the cards remaining in their hands and note it as minus value in their scores.
- At the end each individual add their points and whoever has highest points is the winner of the game.
If there are more than 5 players in the game then you can even use 2 decks of cards together. It will not only make the game even more interesting but each turn would last longer too. However, it totally depends upon your choice that which kind of game you want to play.
I hope the information given above is sufficient enough to let your learn how to play 500 rummy. This wonderful game is quick as well engaging too. You can add your rules or change the existing one a bit to make the game even more challenging or hilarious.